Got a question? Ask Lawmail

Send your questions to Lawmail

Can't find the info you are looking for?Got a problem you can’t solve?

If you're under 25, or an adult asking on behalf of a person under 18, you can send your questions to Lawmail and we will email an answer to you in under 10 days. Urgent matters are dealt with more quickly.

Go to Lawmail. It’s free and confidential.

All donations over $2 are tax deductible.


If you are under 25 and you are unsure about your rights or responsibilities or what to do next, you can get free, confidential legal advice at Lawmail.



Hi my name is Laura, I’m 18 and live in Perth. I got a trial in a Lebanese café, I got a trial shift from 7am-5pm. She refused to give me a contract and refused to pay me for my trial.



Dear Laura,
Your employer should of paid you for your trial. [1] We have provided some links to information about ways to go about receiving your pay.

  • You can make a complaint about unpaid wages

You can write to your employer saying that unless she pays you, you will make a complaint to The Department of Commerce, Western Australia.

  • Wageline

You can call Wageline for more information about making a complaint about pay and conditions - 1300 655 266

  • Contact a community legal centre

You can also contact the Employment Law Centre of WA for free advice on your situation.
Telephone Advice Line: 1300 130 956 or (08) 9227 0111

**We note that in Western Australia, a person has six years to make a complaint about unpaid wages. But if you wish to take any action about your dismissal, shorter time limits may apply. These may be as short as 21 days from the date you were dismissed. It is important that you seek further legal advice on these matters as soon as possible.**


This page was last updated 18 July 2015.

  Insert text regarding ALL STATES here.
  You can choose to insert either:
     · Content that directly applies to ALL STATES of Australia.
     · A footnote that will be seen below the existing content of each state.