Got a question? Ask Lawmail

Send your questions to Lawmail

Can't find the info you are looking for?Got a problem you can’t solve?

If you're under 25, or an adult asking on behalf of a person under 18, you can send your questions to Lawmail and we will email an answer to you in under 10 days. Urgent matters are dealt with more quickly.

Go to Lawmail. It’s free and confidential.

All donations over $2 are tax deductible.

Travel and Concession Cards

South Australia


Can I get free travel?

You can only travel for free on public transport in South Australia if you’re under 5!  If you’re reading this, chances are that’s not you.   

School students

If you’re under 15, you can get discounted travel on a Yellow Student Metrocard or a Student Metroticket without a concession card.  

If you’re over 15 and in high school, you can get discounted student fares. You need to make sure you have a Secondary School Card on you at all times while you travel. You should talk to your school about getting one.  

University students

If you study full time at university or TAFE, you can also travel a discounted Green Student Metrocard or a Metroticket. You will need to carry your university ID card on you at all times when you travel.

What will happen if I travel without my travel/concession card?

You could be fined $160!

What are rules about behaving on public transport?

When you’re travelling on public transport in South Australia, you have to follow certain rules including:

  • Keep your bags and bodies out of peoples’ way. 
  • Avoid loud voices, loud music and loud language as they may offend some people - the ride home might be the only quiet time in their day! 
  • Keep it smoke free - it's heaps healthier.
  • Remember to put your litter & food scraps in a bin... not on public transport .
  • Don’t consume alcohol on public transport.

If you break any of these rules, you could be fined as much as $160.
If you have a question about travel and concession cards that we haven’t answered here please send us a Lawmail.


This page was last updated 15 April 2015.

  Insert text regarding ALL STATES here.
  You can choose to insert either:
     · Content that directly applies to ALL STATES of Australia.
     · A footnote that will be seen below the existing content of each state.