Got a question? Ask Lawmail

Send your questions to Lawmail

Can't find the info you are looking for?Got a problem you can’t solve?

If you're under 25, or an adult asking on behalf of a person under 18, you can send your questions to Lawmail and we will email an answer to you in under 10 days. Urgent matters are dealt with more quickly.

Go to Lawmail. It’s free and confidential.

All donations over $2 are tax deductible.

Travel and Concession Cards

Northern Territory


School students

You can get free travel on school and public buses if you are in primary, middle or senior school in the Northern Territory.  

To travel for free you generally need to either be in school uniform of have your Student ID card on you. 

If you aren’t wearing uniform, you need to have your ID on you.  For the first 6 weeks of term, you are allowed to not have your pass, but after that you could get in trouble. 

University students

If you study at an Australian university or TAFE, you can travel on a concession ticket.  You have to make sure you have your ID card on you.
What will happen if I travel without my travel/concession card?

You could be fined $90 if you don’t have your school or uni ID card on you but you pay a concession fare. 

What are rules about behaving on public transport?

When you’re travelling on public transport in Northern Territory, you have to follow certain rules including:

  • not smoking or drinking alcohol
  • eating 
  • swearing
  • being a nuisance, for example by yelling and carrying on.

If you break any of these rules constantly, you could be:

  • given a caution
  • banned from travelling on school buses. 
  • fined $90. 

For a full list of things you’re not allowed to do on school buses, see this guide.

If you have a question on travel and concession cards that we haven’t answered here, please send us a Lawmail.

This page was last updated 16 April 2015.

  Insert text regarding ALL STATES here.
  You can choose to insert either:
     · Content that directly applies to ALL STATES of Australia.
     · A footnote that will be seen below the existing content of each state.