Got a question? Ask Lawmail

Send your questions to Lawmail

Can't find the info you are looking for?Got a problem you can’t solve?

If you're under 25, or an adult asking on behalf of a person under 18, you can send your questions to Lawmail and we will email an answer to you in under 10 days. Urgent matters are dealt with more quickly.

Go to Lawmail. It’s free and confidential.

All donations over $2 are tax deductible.

Travel and Concession Cards

Australian Capital Territory


Behaviour on public transport

Can I get free travel to and from school?

Generally no. You can only get free travel to and from school if your parents have a Health Care Card or Pensioner’s Card AND you live a certain distance from the school.  If your parents do have this card, you can find out more and get an application form here.

I’m at school - can I get discounted bus fares?

Yes!  You can get special school bus fares if you’re in school.  You will need to apply for a MyWay card online at  and it will be mailed to you.  You can also pick a MyWay Card Up at a Canberra Connect Shopfront or a Recharge Agent.

If you go to Marist College, Canberra High School, Gungahlin College or Covenant College, you have to ask your school for a MyWay card because they have a special photo card/MyWay combined card.      

If you’re over 15, you have to make sure you have your student ID card (with a photo) on you when you’re using a concession ticket.

I go to university – can I get discounted bus fares?

If you’re a full-time university student, you can get special discounted bus fares.  You need to get a MyWay Tertiary Student Concession card.  You can apply online or go to the Tertiary Agent on campus at CIT Reid, UC or ANU.

Remember, when you travel on a concession fare, you have to make sure you have your student ID with you at all times.
What will happen if I travel without my travel/concession card?

If you don’t have your concession card then you must pay the full ticket price. If you buy a concession ticket but don’t have your student card on you, you could be fined $128.   

When you’re travelling on public transportw in the ACT, you have to follow certain rules including:

- Don’t drink alcohol or carry an open alcohol container on the bus.
- Swearing, putting your feet on seats or doing things like spitting.
- Not giving your seat up to someone with elderly, someone with disability or someone injured!

Bus drivers, ticket inspectors and police officers are allowed to tell you to get off the bus (or stop you from getting on it) if they think you have broken these rules , or if they think you are causing a nuisance to passengers by being drunk.   

Do the right thing and you’ll avoid hassles from school, home and the law.

This page was last updated 16 April 2015.

  Insert text regarding ALL STATES here.
  You can choose to insert either:
     · Content that directly applies to ALL STATES of Australia.
     · A footnote that will be seen below the existing content of each state.