Got a question? Ask Lawmail

Send your questions to Lawmail

Can't find the info you are looking for?Got a problem you can’t solve?

If you're under 25, or an adult asking on behalf of a person under 18, you can send your questions to Lawmail and we will email an answer to you in under 10 days. Urgent matters are dealt with more quickly.

Go to Lawmail. It’s free and confidential.

All donations over $2 are tax deductible.

When can I leave school?

If you are under 25 and you are unsure about your rights or responsibilities or what to do next, you can get free, confidential legal advice at Lawmail.


When can I leave school?

In the ACT, you have to go to school from the age of 6 until you complete Year 10 or reach 17 years of age, whichever happens first.

If you have completed Year 10 but haven’t turned 17 yet, you can:

  • Stay in school until you turn 17;
  • Leave school and do some other full-time education, training or employment until you’re 17 or complete a year 12 equivalent.   

If you want to leave school under 17 to work, do work-related training or get an apprenticeship or traineeship, you have to get an Approval Statement from the ACT Department of Education and Training. Click here to find out how to apply for an Approval Statement. You can also call (02) 6205 2254 for more information. 
If you’re interested in doing an apprenticeship, please check out our page on Apprenticeships.


Will I get into trouble if I don’t go to school?

If you do not attend school between the age of 6 and 17 your parents can be fined! 


Unhappy at school?

If you’re not happy at school, it’s a good idea to talk to someone about what’s going on.   You may want to talk to your school counsellor or career counsellor.  

Also check out this factsheet from Reach Out.


This page was last updated on 6 March 2015.

  Insert text regarding ALL STATES here.
  You can choose to insert either:
     · Content that directly applies to ALL STATES of Australia.
     · A footnote that will be seen below the existing content of each state.